Koch & Co is dedicated to continuously ensuring our products are safe to use and manufactured under acceptable ethical and environmental working conditions by our suppliers. We acknowledge our responsibility to our customers, our suppliers, the community, and the environment.
Ethical Sourcing Policy
At Koch & Co, we believe ethical sourcing is an important standard to peruse and uphold. Ethical sourcing requires Koch & Co to ensure the products we develop, and source are manufactured in such a way that is safe for employees and the environment.
Being a manufacturer’s agent and direct importer for many years we have established long-term supplier relationships and have regular contact and visits to our factories and suppliers. At all times, we encourage our supply chain partners to ensure their employees are treated fair and well and consider the environment in their processes.
We ensure our suppliers’ staff and internal staff are treated fairly and ethically under all circumstances. There is no forced, bondage or involuntary labour.
We assess our supply chain partners and ensure they provide safe and fair employment standards for their employees, such as respecting local laws, practice ethical business operations, fair pay for fair hours worked, a safe and hygienic work environment, not using child or illegal labour and not engaging in discrimination or inhuman practices. We expect labour standards to be met during all stages of the development and manufacturing of our products.
- A safe and hygienic working environment is provided, bearing in mind the prevailing knowledge of the industry and of any specific hazards.
- Adequate steps shall be taken to prevent accidents and injury to health in the working environment.
- Access to clean toilet facilities and if appropriate, sanitary facilities for food storage shall be provided.
- Safeguards on machinery must meet or exceed local laws.
- Physical abuse or discipline, the threat of physical abuse, sexual or other harassment and verbal abuse or other forms of intimidation shall be prohibited.
- There is no discrimination in hiring, compensation, access to training, promotion, termination, or retirement based on race, caste, national origin, religion, age, disability, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, union membership or political affiliation.
Environmental and Social Responsibilities
We request our suppliers to respect and not exploit the environment by not engaging in activities that may be unsafe, dangerous, or harmful to the environment. The facility shall comply with national and local environmental laws and regulations.
Koch & Co shall dispose of its production waste in accordance with local environmental laws and regulations.
As a constant and necessary evolution of our social and environmental responsibilities, Koch & Co continually takes steps to assess and improve our social and environmental footprints. We work hard to make sure there is minimal impact on the environment and the community. Every bit counts, including recycling and reusing cartons to send out orders.
We are constantly looking to develop environmentally friendly products. We work with our suppliers and encourage social and environmental activities that that are not only in the interest of the company and laws of our country, but also impact the interests of our employees, customers, consumers, and our community.
We aim to increase sustainability awareness and social responsibility by educating the supply chain and related parties on our strategies, policies, procedures, and best practises. We also take the responsibility of making our internal staff aware of our social and environmental policies.
Sustainability is taking actions today that will not be harmful to our economy, environment and the community in the future. Social responsibility is how our company delivers the message ethics, financial responsibility, human rights, health and safety, and sustainability in the workplace that will ultimately benefit the individual, community, environment, and the company in the future.
Some of our initiatives are:
- We recycle over 30 cubic metres of cardboard and 6 cubic metres of soft plastic per week.
- We re-use second hand cartons where possible
- We utilise degradable and bio-degradable void fill packaging
- We don’t use plastic strapping machines
- We use Kraft paper tape to seal our packaging boxes
- We send broken pallets for recycling rather than sending to land fill
- We have refitted our facilities with energy efficient LED lights
- Our product management team are continuously looking to source environmentally friendly products such as natural jute fabrics and wooden products, biodegradable kraft paper for flower wrapping, plastic components and floral bowls made from recycled materials, recycled glass vases, paper shopping bags, degradable floral wool.
Understanding ECO-FRIENDLY Terminology
There are many terms and definitions that are relevant around environmentally friendly or eco-friendly terminology. At Koch & Co we follow these simple definitions:
What is Eco-friendly?The main principles that are considered when assessing if a product is eco-friendly is if it can either be reduced, reused and/or recycled:
- Reduce – Try and reduce the impact on the environment by using organic raw materials.
- Reusable – Durable enough to be reused many times.
- Recyclable – Made from materials that are recycled e.g., plastic or paper.
What is considered Eco-friendly?
- Renewable Source – Material that can be renewed naturally such wood, paper, and leather.
- Biodegradable – Material that can be broken down back to its natural elements.
- Compostable – Breaks down in about 90 days.
- Degradable – Chemicals are added to the product to break it down into smaller recyclable pieces.
- UV Printing Ink – Does not contain harmful solvents. Creates less emissions and less waste.
- Soy Based Printing Ink – Produced using soybean oil and is environmentally friendly.
- Water Based Printing Ink - Does not contain toxic PVC or phthalates. Only water is required to clean, no solvents.
- Vegetable Blend Wax – Made from palm wax which is more environmentally friendly than paraffin wax.