- What is Koch & Co Floral Wool?
Floral Wool is a natural floral foam and is a great environmentally friendly alternative to regular floral (phenol-formaldehyde) foam. It is easy to cut, has large water retention power, and does not crumble or leave microfibres in water.
- Is Koch & Co’s Floral Wool Eco-Friendly?
Yes. Floral Wool is a natural floral foam made from non-toxic benign materials. It also comes packaged in biodegradable packaging consisting of a brown kraft box and biodegradable film wrap.
- What is Koch & Co’s Floral Wool made of?
Floral Wool is made from basalt mineral rock fibres, limestone, and other natural elements, which are all benign materials that are non-toxic.
- Is Koch & Co Floral Wool harmful?
No. Floral Wool is not harmful when used under normal working conditions – floral arranging.
Floral Wool may have minor impurity elements of natural ingredients that may contain small quantities of respirable Crystalline silica or quartz which is the most common type of crystalline silica. Exposure to this product is not likely to cause harm under normal working conditions in which this product has been designed for – floral arranging. Furthermore, please refer to Safe Work Australia for more information regarding Crystalline silica (silica).
We recommend keeping your floral wool brick in its protective wrapping when not in use and soaking it as soon as you have taken off the wrapping. Please also avoid inhaling large amounts of floral wool dust at all times.
- Do you have a Material Safety Datasheet (MSD) for Floral Wool?
Yes. Please follow the link here to learn more safety information about Floral Wool.
- How do you dispose of Koch & Co’s Floral Wool?
Floral Wool can be disposed of in a general waste bin and normal landfill.
- Does Koch & Co Floral Wool have the same properties as Strass Floral Foam and Oasis Floral Foam?
Yes, Floral Wool operates in the same way as regular foams but with a few slight differences. Like regular floral foam, Floral Wool balances the PH level. It is also almost as firm as regular foam during the first use. However, it does not retain water in the same secure way that regular floral foam does. When it is tipped on its side slight water leakage/dripping may occur.
- What floral arrangements can I use Koch & Co Floral Wool for?
- Do I need to wire fresh flowers when using Floral Wool?
No, this is not necessary. The Floral Wool will be as firm as regular foam during the first use. However, you may consider wiring the flower if the stem is soft.
- Can you use Koch & Co’s Floral Wool bricks in a hanging installation?
We do not recommend it. This is because when the Floral Wool is wet and is tipped on its side slight water leakage/dripping may occur. We recommend only using Floral Wool for pot arrangements, or arrangements on flat surfaces.
- Should I wear gloves when handling Koch & Co’s Floral Wool?
Although Floral Wool is a non-toxic product, we recommend wearing gloves when handling it and washing your hands after use. Please note that the fibres and powdered rock dust should not be directly inhaled.
- Like wet floral foam, do you have to let Floral Wool slowly sink when soaking?
No. Unlike wet floral foam, Floral Wool needs to be forcibly submerged under the water when soaking in order to retain water.
- How do you soak Koch & Co’s Floral Wool?
- Submerge Floral Wool in water for 20 seconds.
- Gently squeeze Floral Wool whilst in water to release any air bubbles.
- Once air bubbles have been released, take the brick out of the water.
- Let the excess water drain from the brick until it stops dripping.
- Your Floral Wool is now soaked and ready to use.
For visual instructions, watch our helpful video here.
- On what side of the Floral Wool do I insert my flowers?
For best result, insert both fresh & artificial flowers on the layered sides of the Floral Wool. Not on the flat surface side.
- How do you store Koch & Co’s Floral Wool?
We recommend storing your Floral Wool in a dry and cool place, which is not exposed to direct sunlight. To avoid dust, keep the Floral Wool wrapped in its original packaging until you are ready to use it.