Smithers-OASIS® regularly update their Safety Data Sheets (SDS), please read the latest information available to us below:
Product Overview & Safety Data Sheets
The new OASIS® Noir Ideal Floral Foam Maxlife is a high quality black floral foam that can blend in the shadows of the flowers or the foliage, creating less noticeable gaps in an arrangement. You can now use fewer flowers to achieve the same full-looking arrangements. With OASIS® Noir Ideal Floral Foam Maxlife, the black foam base can now become part of your floral design.
This UK oasis biodegradable Maxlife brick allows for flowers to last 50% longer than normal foams. The features of this brick include a superior grip and higher absorption and soaking rate than other bricks. The brick was tested and the results say that 51.5% of the brick has biodegraded within 365 days when used in biologically active landfill conditions (testing is ongoing; bio-degradation rates will continue to be measured and further information will be released when available).
The new OASIS® Floral Foam Maxlife with Enhanced Biodegradability has been formulated to biodegrade and to attract microbes that break the foam down faster. According to the US laboratory that conducted the test, the bricks can biodegrade 100 per cent within 567 days in biologically active landfill conditions. The OASIS® Floral Foam Maxlife maintains all of its attributes of the floral foams you are used to, including extended flower life, density, fast-absorption, colour and texture.
This high-performance brick is pre-cut and suits small arrangements and designs. Put busy periods and assembly-line productions at ease for Mother's Day, Christmas, or wedding functions. Absorbs high volumes of water. Brick Size: 23cm long 11cm wide and 8cm high. All wet foam is used for holding water to maintain fresh flowers lifespan.
Frequently Asked Questions on Oasis® SDS
By way of introduction, it is important to note that regulations around technical standards for products, hazardous materials classification and labelling may change from time to time. Smithers Oasis® relies on aligning its information with the guidelines from the American Society for Testing and Materials which is now known as ASTM International. They are an international standards organization that develops and publishes technical standards for a wide range of materials and products. Also impacting international standards for various hazardous material classification and labelling structures is the Global Harmonized System (GHS), run by the United Nations. The GHS sets up internationally agreed-upon standards.
- Why is the Global Harmonized System (GHS) important to floral foam?
Firstly, GHS standards for Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) requirements have changed the content and format of this type of information and are now just called Safety Data Sheets (SDS).
Secondly, due to new standards and types of floral foams, it has now created a need for “best practise” to issue separate SDS for associated performance claims of each product. This practice best aligns safety information with the market’s needs.
- What are the differences between the old MSDS and the new SDS for floral foam?
Australia has adopted the GHS standards, hence, the new SDS is written to comply with Australian Work Health and Safety Regulations in mind.
Furthermore, an SDS document is required by GHS for chemical substances and mixtures. Floral foam is generally defined as a manufactured finished article and not a chemical substance or mixture. It does not release or expose a hazardous chemical under normal conditions of use and therefore does not require an SDS.
- So why do you provide an SDS for OASIS® Floral Foam?
Transparency, best practise and peace of mind are important for all consumers and floral designers who use floral foam.
- Why are formaldehyde and phenol not referenced in the Oasis® floral SDS?
The formula has changed and formaldehyde & phenol is not an intended component of the final product. In any case, the residual formaldehyde and phenol component of the finished manufactured product is below regulation thresholds or not a harmful amount.
Important things to know about using and storing Oasis® and Strass® floral foam:
- You do not have to wear gloves when using floral foam
- Oasis® floral foam is not considered a skin irritant
- Using floral foam will not affect the air quality of your design studio or shop
- Storing floral foam does not require additional ventilation and does not present as a risk
- Additional storage requirements are not required for floral foam
- How dangerous is Oasis® floral foam?
Floral foam is not considered a health risk or physical hazard based on the GHS Standards because it is a finished manufactured article that does not release or expose hazardous chemicals in normal usage circumstances.
- OASIS® Floral Foam is fundamentally a plastic, so how should I dispose of it?
Floral foam can be reused. You should dispose of it in accordance with local rubbish and recycling rules.
Some OASIS® Floral Foams offer enhanced or assisted biodegradability because they require more than 365 days to fully biodegrade. Oasis® do constant testing and checking of their formulation and qualify various foam formulation for different biodegradability. See their website for further information.
For more information and resources about Floral Foam, read our other articles:
- A Product Guide On Everything You Need To Know About Floral Foam
- All You Need To Know About Strass ® Floral Foam
- All You Need To Know About Smithers Oasis ® Floral Foam
- Notes & FAQs for Oasis ® Maxlife Biodegradable Floral Foam from Smithers Oasis ® Australia
- Oasis® & Strass® MSDS explained June 2019
- Floral Foam: The foundation of a great flower arrangement
- The Benefits Of Floral Foam
- When Should I Use Wet or Dry Floral Foam?
- How To Soak Floral Foam In Just 4 Easy Steps!
Visit our website to browse our range of floral foam products.